Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Brand New Life, Brand New Directions....Part I

Any planner knows that you can't always stick RIGHT to the plan.. but at least its there to give you some guidance.. and a truely talented planner.. also plans.. for the mishaps that will surely come along. Well, I had my plan in place.. and even made room for some bumps in the road... barring any huge disasters..but this time.. it was one disaster right after another.. NOTHING I could do to prepare for it.

A couple weeks before my surgery, going about my daily routines, only noticing my child wasn't acting "per his usual self". He was wanting to sleep all the time and not eating very much. He's a tough kid and deathly afraid of the doctor so any pains or discomfort he had would be kept to himself. I thought, as did a few friends, that he was going through a phase and would come out of it pretty quick. At the end of the first week of lethargy, that following Monday, the 18th, I had one of my other doc visits for prequalification and was planning on picking him up from school early because he had to go with me. The phone rang as I was getting my shoes on, it was his school, he was sick and had thrown up.. come get him. I was already on my way.

I get there, he's kinda pukey looking and call my mother in law to see if she could keep him instead since he wasn't feeling well. She says ok. He sleeps on the way to her house.. and right before we get there.. he wakes up and throws up. He basically lays with her the entire time I am gone and stays pretty yucky the rest of the night. I had talked with my husband on the way to his mother's and told him to call and make A. and appointment for tomorrow AM. He threw up a few more times that day and was just wiped.

April 19th, we get up early and head in. Still feeling yucky at this point.. I knew he must feel REALLY bad when he didn't complain about having to go to the doctor. We are finally called back and he starts complaining of his tummy hurting. Screaming bloody murder if you even breathed on it the wrong way. Doc turns to me and says.. we're gonna admit him, I believe he may have appendicitis. OK.. I think I can deal with that. Simple procedure, very common. The hospital is directly across from the doc office so I called my mother on the way over and as I pulled into the parking lot (I called my husband first and told him to come over right away) when she got on the phone I lost it and started bawling. "They're putting my baby in the hospital!!" She said "I will call you when I get into town to get directions... I am on my way!" And that was then end of that. She was at work and three and a half hours away. It was roughly 10:30AM.

They actually rushed our admittance a little cause I was freaking a little bit. Of course everything you always hear about appendicitis is HURRY HURRY HURRY.. get to it before it bursts! So that's all I could think of. They get him admitted and in a room. We go down for cat scans and x-rays. My mom was there at around 1:00pm. I lost it! HOURS later the doc comes in and says " we think its appendicitis but the scans are very vague and we can't really see what all is going on, we don't want to rule out everything else that might be causing his pain,, I want him in Vanderbilt's Children's Hospital." When I heard that last part, I almost lost it... that hospital is for SICK SICK kids, what's wrong with my baby?? He went on to say that I shouldn't get upset and he would rather him be there because of the care and equipment available that he couldn't get here. That eased my mind about---this much. Other family had arrived and came by during the course of the day.. and finally we were headed downtown to VCH.

We followed the ambulance there and everyone got checked and settled. By this time it was nearly 10pm and I had cried so much all day I could barely see anything through my contacts. Hadn't eaten a bite or had a drink of anything. Even if I wanted, my stomach wouldn't allow anything much to pass my lips. Two residents came in fairly quickly and we explained the history and they told us that in the AM they would run new cat scans and all the tests to pin point exactly what was going on.

The next day, all of that happened and several different times they came in trying to explain that it could be this,, ruling out that. That is was MOST LIKELY his appendix AND it had ruptured already. WHAT?!?! Shoudln't we get a move on people?!? WELLLL, they explain that since it HAD ruptured there wasn't a HUGE hurry to get it out and everything else was blah blah blah.. Either way, the surgeon would be preparing for his appendectomy with in a few hours. This being early afternoon, it was after 8 when they came for him. Billy and I stayed with him till they were ready to take him back and then began the wait.

No comments: