Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Like A Caged Bird

I used to think I would welcome the down time to lay in bed all day and watch tv, and only get up to use the bathroom and take a small walk. That might be nice if it weren't forced upon you, but when you have no choice, its altogether different.

I sat quietly watching tv after my sister's mother in law left for work. I was in no way sleepy or thought "oh a nap sounds nice." I was reaquainting myself with my surroundings now that I could see clearly. It was still kinda early in the day. I called my mom again to check on A, but there wasn't much of an update. My sister in law called and asked what room I was in, she was coming by after work. That was still hours away.

I lasted for about an hour before the ants came crawling in. I was hurting still to walk around and get up and down .. or for that matter use my stomach muscles very much. So, I could either sit and feel like I was going to explode or I could push through the pain and get up and walk.. kill some time. I opted for killing some time and some pain. Every time I moved and thought of the hurt, I reminded myself how brave my little man had been and still is, doing his walking and getting himself better. He pulled me through so much, more than he will ever know. I couldn't be a wimp. NO. Not when he had perservered through so much. So every 30 minutes or so I took time about either laying in my bed, or on the couch or in the "so called" recliner that was in the room. NONE of which were even remotely comfortable.

The nurse said she had never seen anyone move around so much. I have had surgery before and been put under before.. but never do I remember feelings so anxious. This was assured by many was a side effect of the anesthesia.

The started me on my fluid intake and protein drinks. I had to get in 64oz of fluid every day and at least one bottle of the protein. I barely made that happen. I didn't drink that much before surgery and now having to sip on everything ALL DAY LONG was extremely hard for me. I wondered how I would get real food in if I couldn't get this liquid in!? I was bound and determined to show the doc I got it all in though. A couple of nurses drilled into my head that I wasn't going anywhere if I didn't and there was too big a risk of dehydration if I didn't continue to do so. So, I made it through that each day.

Around 6:30 that first night, my sister in law showed up with a basket of flowers for me, soon after that her husband showed up as well. I was quite pleased. They stayed till a little later and Billy showed up after work. He sat with me till he had to go home. Then I began pacing again every 30 minutes or so. Walking the halls, from chair to bed to couch, then all over again. They certainly couldn't say I wasn't moving about enough!

Day two was pretty much the same pacing. Feeling better as time went on and my moving was definitely helping. My mother in law showed up at the end of her work day and stayed till Billy came again. It was nearly 11pm before he got there that night. We didn't have much time to spend together and he had to split his time between me and A.

Day three was one that felt like it would last FOREVER. I tried to stay busy with the word search book Billy had brought me and I tried to call and talk to friends. I was missing my baby something awful by this time and the small updates just weren't doing enough. Billy showed up once again that night and stayed the night as I was sure I would be going home come AM. I thought that the doc would be coming around about 7AM, but being a Saturday I was quite wrong.

Finally about 10:30, he came in, checked on a few things, and released me. I was dressed and changed within 10 minutes and we walked to the front desk to get ready to leave. We were then told that she hadn't even completed the paperwork yet, to just have a seat and she'd be with us in a few minutes. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK Did they not know I was DYING to get out of here?!?! Finally she came over and went over everything with me and we scurried down to the lobby. She sat with me and waited till the truck pulled up and FREE AT LAST!!!!! Our first stop was guess where? You got it! VCH! I was hopping right along and went bounding through the double doors on his floor. All the nurses were like WOW I can't believe how good you look and well you seem to be doing! I replied with " gotta get to my baby!" He was asleep when I arrived so I just sat and held his hand. Billy had to get on to work so we had to leave. I was gonna try and get some rest and come back after he got off work that night.

About thirty minutes after I get home, the door bell rings. I had no idea who it could be so I didn't answer. It kept ringing and ringing. I finally looked out and it was my mother. She came in and said I am here to help you clean. Obviously I didn't feel like cleaning up much, but I can hardly sit and watch someone else clean my house. So I proceeded to clean with her. Nothing like getting back at it huh?

Around quitting time for my husband, he was stressed, tired, and worried about where all he needed to be. With all this on his mind and thinking about getting back to me and us getting back to A, he left the store, not realizing at the moment, someone was waiting for him to slip up. One of his employees, waiting for the right time. Thinking only of getting home, he wouldn't realize till the next day the mistake he had made that night before leaving. A mistake that wouldn't have mattered had someone not been waiting for just that.

No comments: