The past few days I have been reading a lot.. on ttc boards and blogs, naturally.. and I don't know if there is something in the air.. or the clomid is driving me batty.. but on a few of them.. I have been indirectly offended, directly offended and had my mouth drop to the floor gasping WTF??? So in an effort to get this off my chest.. I have decided to compile a list... a list of pet peeves and opinions. Here we go!
1. Well.. the first thing I have a problem with.. is people imposing their beliefs onto someone else. What started this indirect offense was a political debate on one of my boards. I was ok, happily reading everyone's opinions on which person should or shouldn't be our next president.. when several girls popped up and said.. well I want to vote for Bush because I am against gay marriages. OK.. I understand that you don't agree with it.. totally ok with that.. but my problem is your excuse for wanting to ban it. One girl in particular had stated previously that she was quite promiscuous and basically went through a football team in her rebellious stage.. but she didn't want gay marriage because of "family values". Now I have to ask, what does two people you don't know, don't deal with on a daily basis, have to do with your family values?? Its not society's responsibility to instill family values in your children or your family.. its our jobs as parents.. It has absolutely nothing to do with the marrying of people of the same gender. EVEN if they weren't allowed to get married, they are gonna continue living as a couple.. and really.. probably even have some sort of committment ceremony at some point,, the only thing they want from a marriage is the legality of it.. and to have the same rights as other couples.. err I should say hetero couples. Maybe I am just too liberal or something but I can't wrap my mind around how allowing gay couples to marry can affect ones own personal family value system. Its not like allowing that will change the nations values.. I believe it actually increases the value of human beings as just that.. human beings.. who want to love, live and laugh the same as everyone else.. but not punishing them for who they fell in love with. Seriously.. I have thought and thought and thought some more about how allowing gay couples to marry would affect me.. and simply enough.. it just doesn't. It wouldn't even matter to me if they lived next door to me. The only thing that would offend me is if they were doing it out in the front yard.. and even then I wouldn't particularly care if a hetero couple were doing that.. its just wrong.. not so much for me to see but the possibility that my child will see it. I mean do we as individuals really let other peoples decisions affect how we live?? I realize that maybe some of you don't agree with me and want to ban this amendment.. and as much as I try to see your side I just can't understand for the life of me why it matters. If its about you and how you live... that's a personal problem.. why are you allowing someone else to affect your values? As much as some would like to think, there will ALWAYS be gay couples/people. Unless there is some unknown genocide planned to rid us of all gay people.. and then who in the world would own up to it now? I totally get it if they are shoving their opinions and beliefs in your face... yes.. I get that.. the whole reason for this being number one.. but 9 times out of 10.. they are in your face.. just wanting the same rights.. You may be asking at this point why this is an indirect offense to me.. well .. my sister is gay.. and while I support her and her lifestyle.. I am not by far an activist.. and she can tell you.. I just don't get involved.. simply.. its not my fight.. but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on it.. or am hurt that people don't want to let them live as they want.
So, what I wanted to try to do was make an arguement for the "ban" side. I wouldn't even know where to start. You could say.. family values.. but I think I just argued this.. and again it comes down to whether or not you allow outside influences to affect your own personal beliefs and those you instill in your children.. and if you do.. then its not the gay populations fault, its a personal problem you have. Also,, if that is the "main" arguement against this, then why is it that my son is totally normal, respectful, loving, caring, giving, and all around good little boy if its so "contaminating" to the society?? I mean, afterall, he does have an Aunt who is gay.. and is planning on getting married this coming week.. HMMMm.. I guess the answer would be that his parents taught him their family values, their compassion, their kindness to all humans.. he isn't affected.. and surely he would be wouldn't he.. I mean being that close to it and all right?? Yeah,, ok.. don't buy it. In the end,, what right do we have to tell other people how to live?? They live their lives, you live yours.. it really is as simple as that.
OK.. I know I probably just lost a few readers for my stance on that.. but that's ok.. its your right.. but if you want to continue.. rest assured that I don't go on rants like this often or even once in a blue moon.. but with it being so in my face the past few days.. well I had to get that out.
2. Putting two together in this one. I have no problem whatsoever with people having opinions.. hell I have my own.. as you may have noticed.. haha.. Its when those people are just out and out hateful to those with differing opinions. For instance,, in the past two days.. one blogger has managed to offend me a couple of times. Even with that, I am torn on whether I continue reading and possibly offering support when needed after she's done this. I mean would she even respect or appreciate me if she knew we had opposite views on certain things? First of all.. I can get on board with the whole popular baby names.. when one catches on its blazes through like a brush fire in the desert.. and this is minor,, but insinuating that EVERY one who uses that name used it for one particular reason, is absurd. My kid does have the name of a town, but it was in no way an tribute to that town or the state in is in. Hell I have only been in the state via means of one of the international airports! Naturally, when we picked this name,, well I should say when I picked this name.. nearly five years before he was even a thought, the name wasn't popular at all.. not out of the ordinary, just not terribly common. For some unique-ness, as a lot of people do, we picked an uncommon middle name, Storm. This in part is because I have always always LOVED thunderstorms and LOVE rain. Which incidentally will be my daughters middle name.. should I have one.. Raine.. something we picked out years ago.. So, while I may fall into the category of giving my child a "unique" name.. I think it quite unfair to assume that we did it to be trendy.. our names were picked in way that meant something to both of us. So there...
Another offense and "group" I got piled into was that of the owner of an SUV. There are many SUV owners out there that fit this description.. but and asshole .. I am not.. unless that is your provoke me. You already know what kind of truck I drive,, as stated in my last post.. but I have to say that .. I picked this truck not only because it looked great.. but because it was the smoothest riding SUV I have ever been in. This includes the high end suv's seen on the road as well. I don't go barrelling down the highway wasting all the gas the world has to offer, in fact even with the gas prices being what they are these days.. I only use roughly 32-35 bucks to fill up.. and that is EVERY TWO WEEKS! So, I have to ask,, are the people that are driving around in their non asshole cars filling their tanks on an average weekly basis with only 15 bucks?? If you are,, yay for you.. but don't lump everyone who drives an SUV into the category of asshole. I am a conscientious driver who only drives when I have to. When I do drive for pleasure.. I am puttering around on some back road.. barely hitting the 35 mph mark. Now in then anti SUV defense, I agree that a lot of people DO abuse the SUV availability. Like the wives that have the largest passenger seating ones that are lone drivers.. or only have one kid or something like that.. I think that irresponsible, and they need to downsize. I can only imagine what their gas costs them a week. I am here to tell you that in my mid size SUV.. we use every inch of it.. and could probably find use if there were more space. I also will agree to the absolutely and totally useless SUV's that are simply for status symbol purposes only.. ie.. the H2.. I can't imagine what purpose that would serve the every day man, other than to say.. Look how great I am that I spent a fortune buying this and now spend a fortune just to drive it from one end of town to the other! So, while there are definitely two sides to the coin of SUV drivers and non drivers.. let's just agree to disagree and realize that not everyone that owns one is a BAD BAD person..
3. My final on today's list.. people who have little to no money, complaining about having little to no money and spending that said money on frivilous items and borrowing money to live on. This drives me nuts! Sure everyone can do as they please and spend their money how they please.. but come on.. if you are gonna be ignorant in your spending then don't turn around and complain about it!! Ya know,, when it gets tight around here,, we dont' spend one red cent that isn't necessary to our day to day living. I just don't understand how someone who is down to their last few bucks decides to spend that on an outing instead of going to the store to buy what groceries they can with it. Ok.. I will even give the argument that you shouldn't be good to yourself every once in a while and treat yourself.. but is it me.. or what.. but when you don't have the money.. wouldn't that be better saved to enjoy when you can afford it?? I mean please don't spend your last 30 bucks on going to the water park on the weekend and then turn around and ask me for 50 bucks to buy your groceries for the week!! COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!! Anybody get what I am saying here?? AHH that feels good to get out!
Well I think that will wrap up today's list.. I am sure to have other lists before its all said and done.. Now I will go and read other blogs.
Edited to say: After having read a few of my blogs just now, I realize that one of them is very similar to one of the things on my list.. just wanted to say.. this blog is not what I was referring to, just wanted to make that clear as to not offend anyone.. Also, I really had no intention of offending anyone with my list today.. Naturally everyone is gonna have a different perspective on some of the same issues, and that's part of what this country is all about.. Your right to feel whatever way you want about those issues. My attempt at writing this today was to try and understand better these things.. not offend.
No comments:
Post a Comment